Anyone want to start on the grammar already?

This is where the work of building the language gets done.

Re: Anyone want to start on the grammar already?

Postby Miatato » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:38 pm

kadani wrote:So I suggest for defining the grammar further these words (just an example, we can invalidate them and replace them by something different if you wish):

heten: teacher
laasi: story
kiti: to read
tenkai:person


How would you say now that the person reads the story of the teacher?


I thought I'd have some fun with this, just riffing on some of the suggestions floating out there:

Tenkai kiti lamasi hieten. (Infixing ho!)

For the following, I changed "laasi" to "laxasi" to break up the long vowel and because I liked it. I changed "heten" to "keten" because I wasn't sure we were using "h".

Tenkai kiti laxasi ketenma.

Tenkai da kitis da laxasi u keten.
Miatato
Site Admin
 
Posts: 162
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:00 pm

Re: Anyone want to start on the grammar already?

Postby Uh-Oh » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:14 am

Miatato wrote:I thought I'd have some fun with this, just riffing on some of the suggestions floating out there:

Tenkai kiti lamasi hieten. (Infixing ho!)

Infixing continues to intrigue and yet scare me... :(

Miatato wrote:For the following, I changed "laasi" to "laxasi" to break up the long vowel and because I liked it. I changed "heten" to "keten" because I wasn't sure we were using "h".

Tenkai kiti laxasi ketenma.


~ma =? {accusative marker}

Miatato wrote:Tenkai da kitis da laxasi u keten.


da =? {accusative marker}
da =? {aspect marker of some kind}
Uh-Oh
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:43 am

Re: Anyone want to start on the grammar already?

Postby Miatato » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:48 pm

Uh-Oh wrote:Infixing continues to intrigue and yet scare me... :(


I feel the same way, but I think I could get used to it. Eventually. Maybe.

Uh-Oh wrote:~ma =? {accusative marker}
da =? {accusative marker}
da =? {aspect marker of some kind}


-ma was just a simple possessive/relational suffix.
da was a 3rd person epicene pronoun.
Miatato
Site Admin
 
Posts: 162
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:00 pm

Re: Anyone want to start on the grammar already?

Postby kadani » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:27 pm

Uh-Oh wrote:
Miatato wrote:I liked irrealis mood to cover future tense (among other things) and 'se' as an irrealis particle, as proposed in the Sentences About The Book thread.

Just sayin'.


Me too. If it's necessary to emphasise the irreality of the verb, then the particle for "if" can be stuck in somewhere:

"I would go to town tomorrow." = I will go; it's intended and likely.
"I would go to town tomorrow if..." = I will go, if a certain (perhaps unstated) condition is met.
"I would go to town tomorrow if only..." = I would go, but there's a condition (perhaps unstated) preventing me.

This seems strange to me. and worse: straightly taken from English. We have to consider that languages might have ambiguities where English doesn't and the other way around. So maybe this language works on the assumption that the future is so unpredictable that something certain about the future has to be marked specifically.
Kaju'il vaixunus'tan viskoreja! Ines'il viskoreja!
Fight linguistic extinction! Invent a language!
Rejistanian word of the day
kadani
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:45 am

Re: Anyone want to start on the grammar already?

Postby kadani » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:28 pm

Uh-Oh wrote:
Miatato wrote:I thought I'd have some fun with this, just riffing on some of the suggestions floating out there:

Tenkai kiti lamasi hieten. (Infixing ho!)

Infixing continues to intrigue and yet scare me... :(

After the last translation relay, they only scare me.
Kaju'il vaixunus'tan viskoreja! Ines'il viskoreja!
Fight linguistic extinction! Invent a language!
Rejistanian word of the day
kadani
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:45 am

Re: Anyone want to start on the grammar already?

Postby Uh-Oh » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:03 pm

kadani wrote:This seems strange to me. and worse: straightly taken from English. We have to consider that languages might have ambiguities where English doesn't and the other way around. So maybe this language works on the assumption that the future is so unpredictable that something certain about the future has to be marked specifically.


Okay! Let it be so, then; an irrealis marker (se so far) and an additional mechanism to collapse it into a certain future. I like it! Can the language be named "Quantum"? ;)
Uh-Oh
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:43 am

Re: Anyone want to start on the grammar already?

Postby kadani » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:10 am

Uh-Oh wrote:Okay! Let it be so, then; an irrealis marker (se so far) and an additional mechanism to collapse it into a certain future. I like it! Can the language be named "Quantum"? ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You just made me laugh IRL.

There is a thread for the name of the language though.
Kaju'il vaixunus'tan viskoreja! Ines'il viskoreja!
Fight linguistic extinction! Invent a language!
Rejistanian word of the day
kadani
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:45 am

Re: Anyone want to start on the grammar already?

Postby Miatato » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:08 pm

Articles -- yes or no?
It seems we haven't been using them so far, and I haven't missed them...

Regarding the future and the irrealis, perhaps we could have a spectrum of certainty-- improbable, neutral, and probable. Perhaps "se" in the neutral spot, perhaps recycle "vo" as the improbable (owing to its similarity to "vi", the proposed negation-- it's "leaning toward no") and "tu" as the probable option.

These could be used in other uses of irrealis as well, for example, to say something like, "In the unlikely event that I won the lottery, I would likely spend all my money on chocolate."
Miatato
Site Admin
 
Posts: 162
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:00 pm

Re: Anyone want to start on the grammar already?

Postby kadani » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:41 pm

I would have never dared to suggest that, because these map almost completely into the rejistanian system, but I like it!

BTW: How exactly would we say such a phase?

"If I vo win the lottery, I tu spend it all on chocolate"?
Kaju'il vaixunus'tan viskoreja! Ines'il viskoreja!
Fight linguistic extinction! Invent a language!
Rejistanian word of the day
kadani
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:45 am

Re: Anyone want to start on the grammar already?

Postby Uh-Oh » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:48 am

How do folks feel about prepositions? I tend to feel that other lexical classes can do the work of most prepositions, such as inside, after, to the left of, and for the benefit of. There are some that seem unavoidable (practically speaking), such as of and with respect to; regarding.
Uh-Oh
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:43 am

PreviousNext

Return to The Language Factory

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron